From Nový Hrádek se set out on the green-marked tourist trail to the crossroads at Příčky. We turn left onto the red-marked track leading to Lukov (cycle track 48, EW 13, Greenway P-W, National Park).
Lukov – the village, in the area of which the ruin of Nový Hrádek is situated, used to be the centre of a small dominion and an important medieval townlet. It even had its own court, which is still commemorated by the original pillory dating back to 1609. Other interesting historic buildings include the baroque church of St. Giles from mid 18th century.
In the village at the crossroads by the bus stop we take the path to the left and continue towards the forest. At the crossroads by the forest we turn right, to the Čížovský Rybník valley and after that we take the asphalt road to the left, heading for the village.
Čížov, which lies some 9 km from Nový Hrádek, is a small village with partially preserved original rustic architecture and a baroque chapel of the Grieving Virgin Mary from 1756. At the edge of the village, visitor centre of the Podyjí National Park is situated with a permanent exhibition on the nature in the park, and an information office. Close to the visitor centre, part of the border wire obstacles – part of the ‘iron curtain’ – can still be seen. Čížov is an ideal starting point for entering both the national parks – Moravian Podyjí, and Austrian Thayatal.
On the northern edge of Čížov we turn into the forest on the marked cycle track (cycle track 5122, Mlynářská), at the Pod Větrníkem crossroads we turn left to the Zadní Hamry valley below the Hamerské vrásy rock wall to Vranov.
Vranov nad Dyjí – local village centre with rich history, many heritage buildings, and interesting nature, situated close to the dam lake built in the early 1930’s. It is dominated by a chateau perched high on a steep rock, which has partially preserved remains of a rampart system of the original medieval castle. The first mention of the castle dates from 1100, when it was owned by the country’s lords. Since the 14th century the castle changed hands between various aristocratic families; in late 17th and during the 18th century the Althanns rebuilt it into a splendid noble seat. Today, the chateau interiors, decorated with samples of the famous Vranov stoneware factory, document the culture of aristocratic living of late 18th and entire 19th century. The chateau is open in April and October on weekends only from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, in May, June, and September from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and in July and August from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. It is closed on Mondays. The chateau lies in the first zone of the Podyjí National Park and the administration office of the Nový Hrádek ruin is also situated there.
You can find more detailed information on cycling in the Podyjí National Park on the webpage: